Established in 1824
From Appling to Ware
Ware County, Georgia was the 60th Georgia county and was formed on December 15, 1824, when cut from a portion of Appling. Ware County was named for Georgia Senator Nicholas Ware 1769-1824. With just over 900 square miles of land, Ware remains the largest county in Georgia.
In the late 1700s, Georgia officials designated this region as part of the Appling District, which was organized to govern the territory between the Ocmulgee and St. Marys rivers. The county was officially created on December 15, 1824, and was named in honor of Nicholas Ware, a United States Senator from Georgia.